Views:0 Author:Site Editor Publish Time: 2020-09-14 Origin:Site
Generally speaking, aluminum extrusions are solid, semi-hollow and hollow shapes made from aluminum and used in the construction of everything from home appliances to automobiles and other fields. Recent decades witness the use of aluminum extrusion in product design and manufacturing has also increased significantly..
A brief introduction of aluminum extrusion
The aluminum extrusion process
The kinds of shapes that can be shaped
The applications of aluminum extrusion
Aluminum extrusion is a process during which aluminum alloy material is forced through a die with a specific cross-sectional profile. It can be described as the process during which a powerful ram pushes the aluminum through the die and it emerges from the die opening.
Then the aluminum pops out in the same shape as the die and is pulled out along a runout table. The aforementioned aluminum extrusion process basics can also be compared to the process where a malleable dough is forced through the press and flows through the opening with a particular die shape. Certainly, the extrusion process also allows for the creation of shapes that are much more complicated.
The process of aluminum extrusion are as follows:
1. After designing and creating the shape of the die, a cylindrical billet of aluminum alloy is preheated.
2. The aluminum billet is then transferred to a loader, where a lubricant is added to prevent it from sticking to the extrusion machine, the ram or the handle.
3. Substantial pressure is applied to a dummy block using a ram, which pushes the aluminum billet into the container, forcing it through the die.
4. To avoid the formation of oxides, nitrogen in liquid or gaseous form is introduced and allowed to flow through the sections of the die, which creates an inert atmosphere and increases the life of the die.
5. The extruded part passes onto a run-out table as an elongated piece that is now the same shape as the die opening. It is then pulled to the cooling table where fans cool the newly created aluminum extrusion.
6. When the cooling is completed, the extruded aluminum is moved to a stretcher, for straightening and work hardening. The hardened extrusions are brought to the saw table and cut according to the required lengths.
7. The final step is to treat the extrusions with heat in age ovens, which hardens the aluminum by speeding the aging process. Once extrusion is completed, profiles can be heat treated to enhance their properties.
8. After heat treatment, they can receive various surface finishes to enhance their appearance and corrosion protection. They can also undergo fabrication operations to bring them to their final dimensions.
The extrusion process takes advantage of aluminum’s unique combination of physical characteristics. Its malleability allows it to be easily machined and cast, and yet aluminum is such one third the density and stiffness of steel that the resulting products register strength and stability, especially when alloyed with other metals.
There are three main categories of extruded shapes, whether simple or complex:
1. Solid, with no enclosed voids or openings (i.e. a rod, beam, or angle).
2. Hollow, with one or more voids (i.e. square or rectangular tube).
3. Semi-hollow, with a partially enclosed void (i.e. a “C” channel with a narrow gap)
Because of the advantageous attributes of aluminum, such as its strength, light weight and corrosion resistance, coupled with its particular blend of strength and ductility to its conductivity, its non-magnetic properties and its ability to be recycled repeatedly without loss of integrity, aluminum are found in an endless range of industries. Today, aluminum extrusion is used for a wide range of purposes, including home appliances to automobiles and even components of the International Space Station. And undoubtedly all of these capabilities make aluminum extrusion a viable and adaptable solution for a growing number of manufacturing needs.
Wuxi gold guangyuan metal products factory has over 10 years experiences in aluminum processing and manufacturing. We provide various styles of aluminum extrusion tube in different sizes of excellent quality at reasonable price. Our products of aluminum extrusion cover obround metric aluminum extrusion tube, round extendable aluminum extrusion tube and so on. We pledge to offer you products customized for your needs. Please feel free to contact us!